The art of Pre-poo might not be very familiar among many, but it’s not a new trend.Some naturals, tend to neglect it and feel it’s time consuming (which might be sometimes) but there are never short-cuts for a healthy natural regimen.
Well,LETS GET INTO DETAILS:
A PRE-POO stands for pre-shampoo which means before shampoo.It’s basically a pre-shampoo treatment consisting of a water-based conditioner,oil or a DIY mixture applied to the hair before shampooing.The treatment can be let to sit for 20-45minutes or overnight depending on your preference and hair needs.
There is a wide range of products which can be used for prepoo:
- Oils -coconut oil,olive oil,Avocado oil.
- Hair treatments and Masques.
- Homemade DIY Blends.
Importance of Pre-poo.
A prepoo does a great job of Hydrating the hair cuticles and Moisture retention, because Shampoos can be very harsh to our hair strands causing dryness and damage.
It also improves natural hair styling ,as prepoo softens the hair strands making detangling an easy process.
How Do You Pre-poo
- Get your products ready for prepoo.
- Divide your hair into manageable sections,(4 or more)As you gently detangle each section.
- Apply your prepoo product to each section.
- Using a plastic cap, cover the hair for 45 minutes to overnight.If you choose to sit under the dryer ,20 minutes will be enough.
- Depending on the prepoo treatment,if of a heavier consistency ,rinse your hair first with water but if its an oil ,just shampoo/co-wash.
Easy homemade prepoos:
- Avocado prepoo-a mixture of avocado,coconut/olive oil and honey.
- Egg mask -a simple mixture of an egg,yoghurt and an essential oil.
- Banana mask-blended banana mixed with coconut oil.
- Coconut milk mask- coconut milk and an oil.
- Coconut oil,olive oil and honey.
There are many other products which can be used for prepoo. I always kill two birds with one stone by doing a Hot Oil Treatment as prepoo before bed using coconut oil as i gently massage my scalp .Applying a bit of heat eases oil penetration in the hair shaft, keeping the hair moisturized and soft even after shampooing.
Why dont you try the inversion method of scalp massaging ,which involves turning your head upside down as it increases blood circulation ,promotes hair growth,prevents dandruff and keeps your scalp clean.
Finally,whether you are making homemade blends,using oils or Conditioners, feel free to use a prepoo treatment that works for your hair. Have Fun!
Happy World AFRO Day!